Thursday, 7 January 2016

Gillian Anderson Doesn’t Meet Anybody and Still Gets Her Needs Met

From the recent Guardian interview with Agent Scully
And so to her private life, which is not simple. This is the third time I’ve talked to Anderson. When we met first, she was with Julian Ozanne, the journalist turned bio-fuel entrepreneur. But she seemed distracted and, sure enough, their marriage lasted only 16 months. The second time, she was pregnant with her second child by the businessman Mark Griffiths (she also has a grown-up daughter with her first husband, Clyde Klotz, a production designer on The X-Files), and spent quite a lot of our lunch together urging me to have children, too. Now, though, she is single again – a state to which she might possibly be rather well-suited. She seems so much more content than in the past.

“Well, yes, I am content,” she says. “I don’t feel anything is lacking in my life. I certainly don’t sit on bar stools, pining. But the fact is I just haven’t met anyone [she and Griffiths separated in 2012], and I don’t know where people do meet people.” Oh come on, I say, clicking my fingers. I could find you a boyfriend in an instant. “No, you couldn’t!” she shrieks. “The thing is that there are needs and there are wants. I have a list of needs and I will not compromise about those.” She sighs. “But aside from that… I don’t meet anybody! It’s not like I meet people, and they ask me out, and I say no. It’s not even like I meet people and I don’t give them enough attention. I just don’t meet them at all. I’m either on a plane, or on set, or with my children. There have been people in my life who’ve tried to set me up, and if a friend said: ‘I know someone amazing’, I would show up. But here’s the thing: I’ve got three children. It’s a big ask.”

How long has she been on her own? “That depends. I haven’t been in a relationship for a couple of years. But I’m not anxious about it, nor am I interested in starting to see someone who doesn’t fit. People go: ‘Oh, he’s so cute.’ The trouble is, I’m not interested in looks at all.”

On the page, this could sound sad: the desperate loneliness of the red carpet. But don’t be deceived. Anderson is grinning as she talks, and rolling her eyes, and generally hamming it up. My hunch is that her needs are being met. She needs to work, and when she’s doing that, somehow everything else just falls into place.
“I have a list of needs and I will not compromise about those”. How many items are on that list? Could it be… 463? The 463-bullet-point checklist strikes again. Though to be fair, one of those needs will be accepting the always-working mother-of-three bit, which doesn’t sound like he would be having a relationship with *Gillian Anderson* but basically with a mid-forty-something divorced senior City Woman who happens to look a bit glam but isn’t terribly available. From the stories some of the ex-Executive Assistants where I work, busy senior executive women don’t get to meet people either.

I do wonder if those last two sentences are code for “she fools around on set with one of the production crew”? It’s possible. Away from the three kids, on set, she would be *Gillian Anderson*.

No comments:

Post a Comment