Thursday 21 December 2017

November 2017 Diary

Next month’s diary will explain why this one took so long. November was 80’s music month. Instead of Radio Three, I had Heart 80’s on first thing in the morning, and played a bunch of 80’s stuff on Tidal as well. And my considered opinion is that 80’s music was The Best. 60’s music was the most groundbreaking; 70’s music when good was transcendent, but so little of it was; by the 90’s the music scene was fracturing into a zillion genres, so that by the 00’s I could be following one genre and know nothing about what was in the charts, and care not a damn what the youth were listening to.

I watched my way through S5 of Elementary like eating candy: it Lucy Liu and is well written, has silly plot lines, Lucy Liu, Johnny Millar portraying an addict rather well, and I may have forgotten to mention Lucy Liu. Because it has her, in case you wanted to know.

I read Michael Lewis’ The Undoing Project, and Tversky and Kahnemann; The Bell Curve, by Herrnstein and Murray; Richard Blandford’s London In The Company of Painters; made a start on Richard Yates’ Eleven Kinds of Loneliness, which I finished in December; and set myself the first volume of Hegel’s Aesthetics as bedtime reading, knocks me out in ten minutes but not before I feel I’ve read something profound.

Tidal added the entire ECM catalogue. If you don't know what that means, keep quiet until you find out, or people may never talk to you again. I spent a day or so going through John Surman's back catalogue just because I could.

I watched Suicide Squad on DVD. No movies. Sis and I had supper at Demartino on Great Portland Street, because it’s run by a guy who goes to my gym, and good hearty Italian food it is too. I caught up with a couple of former colleagues at Encant on Maiden Lane - he was out of ice cream, but the lamb chops were terrific.

I was trying to get to sleep earlier, and I am watching a fair amount of You Tube junk to pass the time, as you can gather from some of the posts, and I don’t mean that the content is junk, but that I “ought” to be watching or reading more sustained content. But then at the end of some days I'm just brain-dead, and listening to Paul Elam having a good rant is just about my level.

No comments:

Post a Comment