Thursday 25 April 2019

Bye-bye Tidal, Hello FTTC, Bye-Bye Yolt

The Highly Significant Birthday is approaching. I have booked the week before and after off. In case I get some uncontrollable emotions, or just don't want to get out of bed. Sometimes, though, I'm not sure I can tell what is actual emotion and what is pollen and too little sleep. So my posting is going to be a bit erratic.

In other news, I dropped Tidal. Listen, I searched for "Shoegaze" and it came back with about three entries. A colleague at work searched on Spotify, and it returned pages of the stuff. So I cancelled Tidal and signed up for Spotify.

The king of shoegaze compilations on You Tube seems to be the unlikely-moinkered Tabitha Mustang. If you've never heard any shoegaze, try this



I finally gave up on my old-school copper broadband service from Talk-Talk, and upgraded to their FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) service. Which has churned out 40Mbs down and 10Mbps up so far since. I even speed-tested it, and got pretty darn close, even though the route included the wireless-ac to my laptop. 40Mbs down by the way, is slightly more than what we old telecom folk used to call a DS3 (34Mbs). Back in the mid-1990's I am told, selling a DS3 across the Atlantic meant celebrations involving champagne and nightclubs. Now every home can have one.

And then one day my Yolt app demanded my passport number and other KYC (as we in the retail banking trade call it) details. And it would not let me get to the control panel without it. I was upset by this, because I don't like software strong-arming me, found the Contact Us email on their site, and asked them to DELETE MY ACCOUNT several times in all caps. Which they did without any fuss. My suspicion that they were about to launch actual banking services via the app was confirmed a day or so ago in the news.

And over Easter, I listened to Parsifal and Gotterdammerung on Spotify. Probably not quite CD quality, but it confirmed to me why I'm not rushing to get Wagner in my collection. The first movement of Parsifal is musically astonishing, whether you understand German or not. But the second act is a lot of singing, and the music probably means a lot more if you know what Kundry just tried to suggest to Parsifal.

No comments:

Post a Comment