Thursday 3 October 2019

By The River



The Millennium Bridge and its view up and down the River Thames is just over a ten-minute walk from my office - once I have waited for however long for a lift to the ground floor. For a long time, it may as well as have been ten hours away. I haven’t been there for a long time. Last week I decided to walk there. Seeing “my London” - the river, the Tate Modern, Tower Bridge, the South Bank, the tourists - I could feel a tension I didn’t know was there starting to unwind. It helped that the sun was out and the sky was blue.

When I worked on Shaftesbury Avenue, I would cross the river every day. It made me feel like I was there, in London. I used to like walking to Holborn in the morning, until they closed it to incoming passengers because escalator works, exactly because it took me across the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment