Thursday 5 December 2019

Habits That Remind You That You're Alive

I got this one from the penultimate episode of Fog and Crimes S2. The ageing Police Commissioner of Ferrara tells his wayward-yet-brilliant detective Soneri (Our Hero) that he goes to a traditional cafe for tea and cakes every chance he gets: it’s one of those habits that reminds you you’re alive.

Absolutely.

My weekly sunbeds - if I miss those, I feel like I’m neglecting myself.

Looking at the River Thames when in town (I don’t do this often enough, especially when it’s cold or the District Line has maintenance work)

I used to like stopping in at the Caffe Nero on Archway before descending into Holborn tube for the Central Line. My espresso and pastry at the Soho Coffee on Gresham Street just isn’t the same experience.

Saturday morning gym followed by a movie at a Curzon - I miss that. I could be being too fussy about the movies I see.

Visiting Zandvoort on my way to see my friend in Utrecht. It’s once a year, but it’s every year.

Choosing music on CD. Near-infallible method: go to the classical section at Foyles, look at composers whose names are new to you. Choose on the basis of musical period (Baroque, Classical, Romantic, 20th Century, etc) and type (string quartets, piano, concerto, etc). I’ve rarely gone wrong. Except when I tell myself I really should try to like the Romantic Symphony.

Reading a book that takes me out of wherever I am. The most recent was a Donald E Westlake. I’d look up and think “I’m on the train? I thought I was in Hong Kong.” (Strictly that’s not a habit, but it will pass.)

No comments:

Post a Comment