Monday 21 June 2021

How I'm Going To Use Favourites in Qobuz

My inner teenager interpreted "Favourites" as songs and albums I want to hear again soon, like maybe in an hour and then this afternoon. Which is at least as often as the favourite song of the moment would be played on the radio.

Not being a teenager, I don't listen to music like that anymore. Not even Spinning Around



which I would put on the headphones at work if I needed a pick-me-up before heading off for the gym. Or Money Guns and Lawyers



but I wouldn't call those "Favourites". I'd call those "motivation".

Which meant I was not doing well with finding a use for the functionality.

While thinking that I should be able to use it for something else useful.

One afternoon of now distant memory I was lazing in the shade in the garden, because it was way too hot to be sunbathing, and I was streaming Goldie's The Journey Man Remixes as an experiment. Timeless is one of the great albums of all time, and when I tried his next one back in the day, it was way too dark and Jungle-y. So I never followed up. Three tracks into the The Journey Man Remixes and I knew I would want to hear it again...

...and that's what my Favourites list will be. Songs and albums I want to hear again reasonably soon and would probably have bought on CD if it was back in the days before streaming. It's also going to be albums-I-used-to-have-and-got-rid-of-but-now-want-to-hear-again. Like Duke Ellington's New Orleans Suite. (If you have never really heard the Duke, I suggest giving him a listen. Qobuz has a bunch of his stuff.)

I could go on some sort of Favourites-building binge, but I'd prefer to build it up album by album, which is what I've been doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment