Friday 13 May 2022

Commenting on Current Affairs Means Letting Madness Take Up Space In Your Head

I've been finding it increasingly difficult to work up any enthusiasm for the foolishness of the world. You don't need me to tell you that the Ukraine War is awful, that Woke is a blight on the land, that the economy is a mess, and that anyone under forty has to be treated with kid gloves (vegan fake kid gloves, of course) lest they "call you out" for wrongthink.

The problem with commenting, especially political and economic commentary, is that you're always living someone else's life.

You expend a lot of thought and concentration on describing, interpreting and drawing the possible consequences of what other people are doing.

You're letting other people's madness take up space in your head.

I'm pretty darn sure I don't want that anymore. I hardly noticed when I had a day job, because day jobs are all about dealing with other people's madness, so it was more of the same.

I notice the madness of the things I comment on now I don't have a day job.

I think I want out.

1 comment:

  1. You must surely notice after a certain age that history just keeps repeating itself, with the same ancient themes recurring? Wars, recessions, corruption, and on and on.

    Following current affairs is somehow seen as virtuous, as if engaged citizens can change the course of events. But they can't really. Get rid of the current bunch of idiots and you'll just end up with another bunch of idiots to mess things up again.

    I also notice how miserable people who follow politics are. This makes me wonder; do miserable people tend to follow politics, or does following politics make people miserable?

    ReplyDelete