Tuesday 18 July 2023

Ship on the Thames

 


It didn't look like this, but a) it should have done, and b) this is the way anyone would paint it. 

I've been reading Tom Ang's Photography: The Definitive Visual History from Dorling Kindersley. (Superbly printed in China.) Early photography was far more painterly, mainly because of the longer exposures. The film types and lenses also created a softer look closer to an 'accurate' painting, than today's ultra-sharp lenses and 20+ megapixel cameras. Somewhere in the middle were the Glory Days of 35mm Black and White - which is nowhere near as sharp as we think it is.

The adjustments I've made to this are deliberately painterly. I'm starting to think that maybe the default settings on my X-E4 need changing. The catch is this: some changes seem to trigger a bunch of processing in the camera to create the jpeg, as I found taking photos in Mile End Park using someone's Kodachrome-emulation settings.

No comments:

Post a Comment