Friday 26 August 2011

Books Waiting To Be Read (August 2011)

(This is what happens when you have Foyles and Waterstones less than two hundred yards from your office.)

A History of Illuminated Manuscripts - Christopher de Hamel
The Klee Universe - various
Photography: A Cultural History - Mary Marien
Notations 21 - Therasa Sauer
Dreamworld and Catastrophe - Susan Buck_Morris
This Book Is Broken - Stuart Berman
A Hole In Texas - Herman Wouk
Hegel's Aesthetics (Vol 2)
Hollywood Cinema - Ricahrd Maltby
The Philosophy of Money - Georg Simmel
Improvising Jazz - Jerry Coker
Totality and Infinity - Emmanuel Levinas
The Book of Symbols - various
Model Theory and Algebraic Geometry - Bouscaren (ed)
Chocolate Wars - Deborah Cadbury
The Making of the British Landscape - Francis Pryor
The Real Global Warming Disaster - Christopher Booker
Olives: The Life and Lore of a Noble Fruit - Mort Rosenblum
One and Other - Anthony Gormley
Dark Matter - Gregory Sholette
How Well Do Facts Travel - Howlet & Morgan
Go Ahead John: The Music of John McLaughlin - Paul Stump
The Jazz Ear - Ben Ratliff
Text-Me-Up - Tracey Moberly

I now buy books when I think "this will be interesting" rather than "I want to start reading that tonight". I bought The Memory of Pablo Escobar about three years ago and read it recently: I'm glad I waited, because I was reading a fair amount of "True Crime" stuff at the time and would have expected that, rather than the art project it actually is. There are also books that get bought and read the same week, giving me a break from stuff that I know I need to read but is a real slog, like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment