Thursday 10 July 2014

The Great Kitchen Re-Furbishment Project

When I bought the house, the kitchen hadn't been changed since the mid-1930's when the house was built. I had a new one installed in the late 1980's and lived with it ever since, changing the appliances now and again. This year I decided it was time to re-do the whole thing. I wanted the red lino off the floor and the floorboards taken back to their original colour and varnished, and whatever it was I wanted NO cabinets. As you can see, I'd started to go for the open look before the refurb, in a fit of something or other.

So from the old to


... cleared out Sunday evening for the fitters...

...to remove everything...

...so the floor men could do this...

...and when it had dried, the fitters came back to do this...

...but notice the lack of decorating touches...

...which were put added by decorators...

From start to finish took two calendar week's work for two men each. The accuracy with which the fitter put up the shelves and Spur railing was amazing: they are perfectly straight. The dark wood top sets off everything put on it far better than the original light colour. I'm getting used to working in it, and stocking up the shelves with decorative food. This is basically where this year's holidays went.

No comments:

Post a Comment