Thursday 6 May 2021

So That's The Day Job Over...

I have finally retired. The last day was April 30th, which meant that the first non-working day was Tuesday 4th May. Weekends and Bank Holidays happen when we'e at work.

I am not going to miss the day job. I would have missed it if I had been commuting and seeing everyone in the office. Then retiring would have felt like a much bigger change, and far more abrupt when it happened. But a year of working from home and I had already made all the adjustments. All retirement involved was not opening the work laptop and not signing on to Teams and running reports. Which is no loss at all.

My plans for travelling are on hold until the hysterics are over, which will be about 2023, or until those of us who have been 'jabbed' (notice how they can't bring themselves to say 'inoculated') can move around without let or hinderance, except to places where we wouldn't want to go anyway.

I can't even pop out for a spot of lunch, since it's a) freezing, and b) the restaurants are still half-closed.

I did pop out for a spot of non-food shopping, in the Kingston John Lewis, and realised that I have always hated that kind of shopping, and doubly so now when I have to wear a mask. John Lewis have gone full retard on how many people can use lifts. Not going there again. I'll use their online site. If there's one thing I've learned to do in the lockdown, it's online shopping. Books, DVDs, food, shoes and clothes: almost everything else can be had online or by phone with a trial period.

So my days will be full of arranging and doing little things until, you know...

Which is just fine by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment