Thursday 10 March 2022

Sir John Soane's Museum

This is one of those places I have been meaning to get to for years and years. Just because... it's a terraced townhouse on the north side of Lincoln's Inn Fields, which is behind Holborn. Wikipedia has all the details you might want. Soane was a Victorian architect and collector of (mostly) sculpture, though the museum has a couple of the Hogarths you always see in books. It's small in the way that Victorian houses are now: people were smaller back then. It's also too dark, though I get they have to do that to stop the light bleaching everything out.

But mostly it is stuffed to the gills with bits of sculpture. These photographs only begin to give you an idea of how many bits of stuff there are.


It's worth one visit. If you like bits of rock, you may be entranced, but I'm a paintings man. What I didn't get was a picture of the books, which are behind glass doors and can't be opened by the public. None of them are currently available on Amazon, and while I could live without the Blue Books for some decade in the nineteenth century, some of the art, architecture and travel books should surely be scanned for posterity.

(You can tell I'm still getting used to taking photographs. I promise to do better as the year goes on.)

No comments:

Post a Comment