Tuesday 22 March 2022

Taking (Personal) Stock After The Lockdowns - Part Two

What did I do before the Great Void that is still worth doing?

I was whinging about the cost and content of movies, and the cost and quality of eating out, before 2020. My ability to leave almost all of it on the gym floor and still make the commute home was waning. Millennials have been ruining the workplace, and everywhere else, with their virtue-signalling and bullying since about 2010. Corporate hypocrisy has always been strong, but for an employer to claim it cares about my `well-being' while moving all the desks closer together and turning the aircon down...? And TV programmes, even the police shows, featuring strong independent women being irritated by dumb, insensitive men? Puh. Lease.

Movies. okay, a new one now and again when I like the idea. Most of my movie watching will be at home. Let's try finding some of those 70's movies I liked and seeing them again. MUBI has a reasonable good selection of art movies. What I miss: going out to the cinema.

Restaurants. Apparently lots of chefs have lost their sense of taste because of the Virus. Sit-down meals are pretty much out at these prices.

Sadlers Wells. Just booked some shows in the 2022 Flamenco season this June.

Gym. Replaced by light exercises at home. As befits my years.

Museums and Galleries. Now that they are abandoning advance booking, and have dropped masks, this is back on. Let's have a project to go round all the ones I never had time to get to.

Foreign trips. Entirely dependent on other countries and airlines getting the message.

Hanging out in cafes. Sure. Not writing though. Don't like shlepping a shoulder bag everywhere now.

What do I do instead?

Snacks in bijou cafes.

Walks and trips to places in London I haven't been to for years.

More housekeeping and gardening. (Care for your house, care for yourself.)

For the moment that will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment