Friday 14 January 2022

Forming Habits Instead of Setting Goals

Despite all the hype, a salaryman doesn't need any self-discipline or inner drive. What he needs is the ability to grind and the fortitude not to run screaming from it all.

Consider how my waking days went. 05:15 - 08:00: wake up, breakfast, commute, sit in cafe, walk to work; 08:00 - 16:00: work; 16:00 - 17:30: travel to gym and work out; 17:30 - 18:45: commute; 18:45 - 21:30: supper and maybe watch a movie or a couple of episodes of something.

That leaves about two hours free time in the evening.

How much effort did I have to put into filling my time?

None. My big decision was what to read on the train.

Now I don't have a job.

Now I have to make decisions?

One thing I know: direction, plans, goals, and self-discipline are not the tools I need.

That's externalising one's motivation: it's why gurus say we should tell our friends what we want to achieve and have them "keep us honest".

That's how jobs work.

The way our time works is that there are things we have to do, and having done those (aka "been productive"), we do things we enjoy doing. Which doesn't mean lazing in the sunshine - though I bet it does on the Northern Mediterranean coast - and could mean doing things that are challenging in Millennial-speak. I'm not sure what kind of challenging I would be interested in, but I'm pretty sure You Tube rabbit holes aren't it. Or spending too long reading the newspaper (on my iPad, of course).

I think the trick is to do the compulsory stuff (exercise, walk, food shopping, cooking and cleaning) first and early, and then I have the rest of the day to do anything or everything else.

Which is a habit it will take a few weeks to form.

No comments:

Post a Comment